History of the School
Hampshire School’s home is in the former Chelsea Library in central London, awe inspiring premises that also served as the library for King’s College and are now Grade II listed buildings.
Hampshire School was founded in Surrey by Mrs June Hampshire in 1928. The school moved to Knightsbridge in 1933 and is now on two sites, the Early Years at 5 Wetherby Place and the Main School at 15 Manresa Road. Mrs Hampshire’s daughter Jane Box Grainger succeeded her mother as Principal in 1961. Mr Arthur Bray took the helm as Principal in 1986 and after a long period of service was succeeded by, Stephen J Chynoweth who joined the school in September 2011. Since Janaury 2014 Mr. Donal Brennan has taken over as Headmaster, who joined us from Hill House International Junior School in Chelsea where he worked for 25 years.
In 2004, the school underwent comprehensive structural improvements under new management. The original architectural features of the building were sympathetically incorporated into the design of the present state-of-the-art school. The library's reading room is now the assembly hall/gym, while the original galleried reference library now serves as the school’s library. The former 'Queen Victoria library' was converted into an extensively equipped science laboratory, one of the best of any preparatory school in London.
The school also has a purpose-built Music and Drama room named 'The Anne and Susan Hampshire Music and Drama room' after June Hampshire's other daughters Anne (who was Head of Music at the school) and Susan Hampshire OBE, the distinguished actress.
In addition to the dedicated Art and Design studio and ICT suite, there is a suite of rooms on the second floor for Years VII and VIII. The kitchen is fully equipped to provide a five course banquet for up to 160 guests.
Hampshire School is accredited by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) and is a member of the Independent Schools'Council (ISC). The Head Master is a member of the Independent Schools' Association (ISA).